• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 AsiaPac

AsiaPac

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 01:30 AM

It would be nice and convenient to have a close button on the tabs -- perhaps on all the tabs, but at least on the active tab (red circle) -- rather than having to jump over to the close button in the editing pane (blue circle):

Various other products have close buttons on their tabs, especially the tabbed browsers (such as IE7 and Firefox). I happen to use Avant Browser a lot (it's an excellent shell for IE), and it has a configuration option such that you can have the X on each tab or only on the active tab. I prefer the latter, but some will prefer the former.

UPDATE #1 ... I just discovered by chance that you can close a tab by clicking on it with the mouse centre button (scroll wheel), which is faster than selecting "Close" from the context (right click) menu on the tab. Various browsers now use centre-click to do the same, so it's silly of me not to have tried it beforehand. All the same, it's not as obvious as an X on the tab, so my suggestion still stands.

Cheers, Tony Austin.
Tony Austin
CEO, Asia/Pacific Computer Services
asiapac.com.au or notestracker.com

#2 ham90mack

ham90mack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 12:31 PM

I guess the only thing I have against that is the extra space it takes up and how hard it would be to close multiple tabs if the X moved every time you pushed it.
ham90mack
http://ham90mack.googlepages.com
Resistance may be futile,
But capacitance has potential.
BLAH!

#3 AsiaPac

AsiaPac

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 01:35 PM

QUOTE(ham90mack @ Jun 21 2007, 10:31 PM) View Post
I guess the only thing I have against that is the extra space it takes up and how hard it would be to close multiple tabs if the X moved every time you pushed it.

Yeah, that's why Avant Browser and Firefox (with the appropriate extension installed, such as Tab Mix Plus) give you an option of whether the X appears on just the active tab or on all of the tabs.

The latter takes up more real estate on the tab bar, but is more consistent. The former you can get used to. Also, unlike IE7 both or these browsers allow multiple rows of tabs, so to a certain extent having an X on each tab is not too much of a worry.
Tony Austin

#4 E-E-R

E-E-R

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts
  • Interests:Programming, Gaming, DC

Posted 21 June 2007 - 04:31 PM

QUOTE(AsiaPac @ Jun 21 2007, 03:35 PM) View Post
Also, unlike IE7 both or these browsers allow multiple rows of tabs, so to a certain extent having an X on each tab is not too much of a worry.

Multiple rows of tabs in FF? Not without plugins or configuration meddling, right? Not that I want it in the first place. I always close tabs with my middle mouse button, but I can see that is not always the first thing you try.
"Many are persistently in pursuit of the way they have chosen; few in pursuit of the goal"

#5 AsiaPac

AsiaPac

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 01:59 AM

GREAT NEWS - More thanks to Wendel, who has just released version 4.50.006(beta) and already has implemented Close button on the active tab (selectable under "Display tab close button" under general options). Very helpful!
Tony Austin

#6 Exquisitus

Exquisitus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 05:58 PM

Alternative to having the extra space of the 'Close' button would be to have an option to close the tab by double clicking.

KP>

#7 xinox

xinox

Administrator

• Admin
  • 525 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 06:52 PM

QUOTE(Exquisitus @ Aug 25 2007, 05:58 PM) View Post
Alternative to having the extra space of the 'Close' button would be to have an option to close the tab by double clicking.

KP>

Thanks for the suggestion. As mentioned in the first post, use the middle mouse button or you can assign a keystroke to the close command. Other alternatives will unlikely be added.

-Xinox Software

#8 cjard

cjard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 09:20 AM

Note that the tabs also have a right click menu, with 3 close options on!

#9 AsiaPac

AsiaPac

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 09:39 AM

QUOTE(cjard @ Feb 25 2008, 08:20 PM) View Post
Note that the tabs also have a right click menu, with 3 close options on!

Yes that's right, cjard, and there are some times when you would use "Close All"or "Close All Except" but I expect that most often you would just want "Close" and so having the button on the tab saves a click (which is the reason I requested it).
Tony Austin

#10 AsiaPac

AsiaPac

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 07:39 AM

QUOTE (Ranana_Proofs @ Jun 15 2009, 04:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It would be nice to be able to right click on a tab and have a drop down menu that offers choices such as close, etc ...

Not sure what you mean by this, Ranana_Proofs.

When I right click on a tab I do get a drop down menu, with choices such as Close, Close All, Close All Except. Isn't that what you wanted? (Maybe this only works in JCreator Pro, and not in the Lite version?)  unsure.gif

Like other environments -- such as Firefox -- you can drag tabs around to suit, or click a tab with the mouse wheel (centre button). One of the few commonly-accepted actions that doesn't work is double-clicking a tab to close it.
Tony Austin