9 replies to this topic

#1 silers

silers

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 10:50 PM

All:

While editing files, I click in the selection margin to select the entire line, however, now that I've upgraded to v4.5, the portion of the selection margin that actually selects the line is very very small, while the portion of the selection margin that sets a breakpoint is very very large, so I almost always set a breakpoint instead which is highly annoying.  I would argue that breakpoints are only useful when I'm running the debugger, but the selection margin is *ALWAYS* useful.

A perfect solution would be to give me the option to turn off the set breakpoint functionality (since it's available as a right-click anyway) or better yet, to just turn the silly thing off unless I'm actually debugging..

-- Steve

#2 xinox

xinox

Administrator

• Admin
  • 525 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 10:56 AM

QUOTE(silers @ Aug 7 2007, 10:50 PM) View Post
All:

While editing files, I click in the selection margin to select the entire line, however, now that I've upgraded to v4.5, the portion of the selection margin that actually selects the line is very very small, while the portion of the selection margin that sets a breakpoint is very very large, so I almost always set a breakpoint instead which is highly annoying.  I would argue that breakpoints are only useful when I'm running the debugger, but the selection margin is *ALWAYS* useful.

A perfect solution would be to give me the option to turn off the set breakpoint functionality (since it's available as a right-click anyway) or better yet, to just turn the silly thing off unless I'm actually debugging..

-- Steve

They are exactly the same size if you have code folding enabled.

-Xinox Software

#3 silers

silers

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 09:17 PM

Respectfully I beg to differ.  The area of the selection margin that works as a selection margin is about 8 pixels wide, while the selection margin as a whole is about 50 pixels.  I would attach a JPEG, but this forum requires the image as a URL and I do not have access to a public webserver to host the image.

-- Steve

#4 xinox

xinox

Administrator

• Admin
  • 525 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 06:44 AM

The red area is for setting breakpoints and the green one for selecting lines. As you can see they are roughly the same size.

Otherwise submit your screenshot to our support email.

-Xinox Software

#5 silers

silers

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 10:34 PM

Two points and then I'll shut the hell up about this..

1) You cannot argue that the VISIBLE portion of the selection margin is much smaller as 1/2 of it lives outside of the gray area.

2) If you turn line numbers on (as I do), you will see that the selection margin to set breakpoints is substantially larger.

<soapbox>

All that aside, the salient point of my suggestion is that using the selection margin to set breakpoints does not enhance usability.  I assume that most users use JCreator primarily as a file editor and only occassionally as a debugger; therefore, making the primary function of the selection margin to set breakpoints seems ludicrous (to me).  Hell, you even call it a selection margin!

</soapbox>

Rant over.  I respectfully request the ability to toggle the setBreakpoint capability off, which would in effect double the real estate for the green selection margin.  Thank you.

-- Steve

#6 Captain Pierce

Captain Pierce

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 10:26 PM

silers, how about posting a screenshot like xinox did?

#7 E-E-R

E-E-R

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts
  • Interests:Programming, Gaming, DC

Posted 05 September 2007 - 08:14 PM

Not that it really matters, but still :)
"Many are persistently in pursuit of the way they have chosen; few in pursuit of the goal"

#8 imilne

imilne

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 12:13 PM

I don't seem to be able to select lines AT ALL using the margins in jsp or html files.

#9 E-E-R

E-E-R

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts
  • Interests:Programming, Gaming, DC

Posted 27 September 2007 - 05:43 AM

I seem to have the same problem here, when using JSP files.
"Many are persistently in pursuit of the way they have chosen; few in pursuit of the goal"

#10 cjard

cjard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 09:08 AM

QUOTE(E-E-R @ Sep 27 2007, 05:43 AM) View Post
I seem to have the same problem here, when using JSP files.

Thats because code folding is switched off by default for JSP.. I just switched it on and I could select lines.