• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 javacs

javacs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 07:12 PM

Using jcreator Pro, if I write a loop that has no end (an endless loop), how do I make the program stop running?  With Jcreator LE, I would simply close the ms/dos or CMD window.  With Jcreator Pro, I do not see where to stop the program.  I couldn't pick OPTIONS/STOP TOOL because my application said "not responding".  Had to close out of Jcreator altogether.  

#2 xinox

xinox

Administrator

• Admin
  • 525 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 11:44 AM

QUOTE(javacs @ Aug 29 2007, 07:12 PM) View Post
Using jcreator Pro, if I write a loop that has no end (an endless loop), how do I make the program stop running?  With Jcreator LE, I would simply close the ms/dos or CMD window.  With Jcreator Pro, I do not see where to stop the program.  I couldn't pick OPTIONS/STOP TOOL because my application said "not responding".  Had to close out of Jcreator altogether.

You can have your program output to the msdos window by going into:

1. Configure
2. Options
3. JDK Tools
4. Change "Run Application" in the combo box
5. Highlight "Default" and click "Edit"
6. Uncheck Capture Output

Or add a Sleep statement to the body of the endless loop.

Best regards,
Xinox Software

#3 357mag

357mag

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 10:03 PM

Sometimes when I want to build my source file or run my program I can't because everything is greyed out. Maybe this is because I have inadvertently started the debugger? Don't know yet cuz I'm just a greenhorn.

But what do I do to just stop everything so I can build and consequently run my file?

#4 Scott

Scott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 09:37 AM

I guess you're looking for the Stop Tool. It looks like a lightning bolt
For version 4.50 LE it is under Run > Stop Tool. Shortcut: Ctrl+B

#5 Matthew Doucette

Matthew Doucette

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 01:53 PM

I have the same problem, over and over, and this solution does not help at all.

Why not enable CTRL-C, CTRL-B, CTRL-BREAK, or menu functions to break the program like all popular IDEs do such as Visual Studio? From a new user of your IDE this is very frustrating that each time I accidentally create an infinite loop, which I apparently do a lot as I'm investigating and testing new code, that I have to force shutdown your IDE.

(EDIT: And even to force shutdown is somewhat difficult to do, as the continued infinite loop running of the program dominates focus over the "End Program" window.)

Please, is there any other way?

Also, to add to the frustration, I had to answer your CAPTCHA exactly 12 times before being allowed into this forums. At 10 I assumed your system was broken. I run into this above issue again today and decided to bang my head against the wall and try again, and it worked after two CAPTCHA. I was very certain the majority of them were correct.

All in all quite frustrating to a new user, and I hope you are open to such blunt feedback.

I actually really like JCreator.
Matthew Doucette, Xona Games

#6 Matthew Doucette

Matthew Doucette

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 11:46 PM

Just wanted to reply and say this happened again. However frustrating this is to whoever is reading this, I assure you my frustration wins!!!

#7 Matthew Doucette

Matthew Doucette

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 11:58 PM

When you get into an infinite loop running F5 (no debugger), how do you stop the program? CTRL-B simply does not work and the IDE is out of commission for responding. This is the most frustrating thing ever. I'm losing code because I accidentally enter an infinite loop I cannot break out of, which apparently happens to me a lot as I'm playing around (re)learning Java. Any help is appreciated.

This blows my mind. There has to be something simple I am missing here. Why doesn't CTRL-Break, CTRL-C, or CTRL-B work?

#8 Matthew Doucette

Matthew Doucette

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 12:12 AM

How do I break out of an infinite loop?

So far, nothing I try works:

- CTRL-Break
- CTRL-B
- CTRL-C
- Even the IDE is locked out of focus and the menus are therefore non-functional.

I have to kill the JCreator process itself, losing my work. Why would I ever want to code in an IDE that locks me out of control? This is a dealbreaker for me. Am I missing something simple here? I've asked everywhere, in these forums, on Facebook, on Twitter, over and over. Very frustrated... on an otherwise amazing product. :(

#9 Matthew Doucette

Matthew Doucette

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 12:14 AM

Funny these forums call me a newbie. I guess I am.

Right now I have an infinte loop Java test program running and your IDE is entirely non-responsive to Windows Vista:

[Window Title]
Microsoft Windows

[Main Instruction]
JCreator is not responding

[Content]
If you close the program, you might lose information.

[Close the program] [Wait for the program to respond]

And this is it running in debug mode at that.

#10 xinox

xinox

Administrator

• Admin
  • 525 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 12:54 PM

It is on our bug list, it will likely be fixed next week.

We had a lot spammers on our forums so the CAPTCHA protection is strong. Note that it is case-sensitive.

#11 xinox

xinox

Administrator

• Admin
  • 525 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 12:22 PM

It is a bit more difficult to solve, the java process doesn't react on the stop event.

The current solution is to stop java.exe via the task manager of windows.

#12 joankim

joankim

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 10:39 PM

View Postxinox, on 02 August 2011 - 12:22 PM, said:

It is a bit more difficult to solve, the java process doesn't react on the stop event.

The current solution is to stop java.exe via the task manager of windows.

Do you at least have a useful piece of code to prevent this? Something like
if(loop has been running a thousand times){
break;
}

I obviously know that this wouldn't work, but if someone could write a piece of code that will work, that would be great. I am also experiencing the same problems as described above, and due to the nature of the program, it is very hard to prevent this from happen. In other words, I have to code, run, end Jcreator process, open jcreator, open workspace, edit code, run, end process and so on. Very frustrating.

EDIT:
By spamming CTRL+c+b+break immediately after running program, I make it stop, but it will still be "not responding".