#1 Exquisitus

Exquisitus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 01:09 AM

Hi.  I have two very import suggestions to make by using the following example:

System.out.

After selecting the 'out' method and typing the dot, the code completion list appears with the methods.  If for example I select the printf method a long rectangular window appears showing me that there are two printf methods along with the parameters for each method with arrows to move from one to the other.  Now here are my two simple requests(suggestions):

1. When this window is visible I would like to be able to move from one method to the next by pressing the left and right arrow keys.  Having to take my hands off the keyboard and use the mouse slows me down.  Since you would like JCreator to be known as an application that increases productivity, I think you will agree that slowing the developer down is not a good thing.

2. When the cursor is between the two parentheses of a method, pressing SHIFT + CTRL + SPACE should make that window with the parameter list appear.  Sometimes for some reason or another I could do something to cause the window to go away.  It would be nice to have an easy way to bring it back.  I think that Delphi and C++ have this feature.

That's it for now.  Thanks for reading.

KP>

#2 ham90mack

ham90mack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 02:10 AM

1. You can already do this with the up and down arrows.
2. Agreed.  I have not figured out how to do this yet, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.  Check the help file if you haven't already.
ham90mack
http://ham90mack.googlepages.com
Resistance may be futile,
But capacitance has potential.
BLAH!

#3 Exquisitus

Exquisitus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 11:51 AM

I just tried to verify item #1.  It doesn't work with any of the arrow keys.  As for #2 I will check the help.  However since the Delphi IDE and Visual Studio use Shift Ctrl Space, I just assumed that it would be the same here.

KP>

#4 Captain Pierce

Captain Pierce

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 05:29 PM

Yeah up/down arrow keys definitely scroll through possible choices. So, either you are doing something wrong, have somehow reconfigured keyboard controls, or there's some weird bug.

#5 ham90mack

ham90mack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 06:00 PM

Oh, I see what you mean about number 1 now.  You want to change between the parameters of a method that has been overloaded at least once, not scroll through the code completion window.  I haven't discovered a way to do that yet either, at least not until I found it in the help file.

To activate: CTRL+SPACEBAR (you cursor must be directly after the open parenthesis to do this, otherwise the code completion window will pop up instead)
To close: ESC
To advance: CTRL+","
To go back: CTRL+"."

All code completion dialog shortcuts can be found in the JCreator manual by traversing the JCreator Books tree like so: JCreator Manual>Dialog Windows>Options Dialog>Code Completion Pane
ham90mack
http://ham90mack.googlepages.com
Resistance may be futile,
But capacitance has potential.
BLAH!

#6 Exquisitus

Exquisitus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 02:22 AM

Sorry for the confusion ham90mack and Captain Pierce.  I guess I should have been more clear about number one but you are correct.  I was referring to the overloaded methods.  Thanks also for the information on how to bring up the window and scroll through them ham90mack.

My apologies to the JCreator team for not trying to read the manual first before making my request.  Of course I still think that using the left and right arrow keys is a more logical and intuitive way to go through the overloaded parameters.  I guess I've been spoiled by Delphi.

KP>

#7 cjard

cjard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 09:13 AM

1) Chalk this up as another one of my "like Visual Studio" suggestions; vs navigates overloads using up/down ;) and if you want to nav away, pressing ESC makes the tooltip go away and you get your nav back

2) I find that deleting and re-typing the opening ( bracket will also cause it to reappear. Visual Studio also shows it again when you type a comma within the brackets.. so usually just adding, then deleting a comma will show it. There is also a command for showing it, but I never bothered to learn it