• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 javachris

javachris

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 07:14 AM

JCreator needs badly the following features (and I don't think they are too hard to implement)

1. Open class dialog (something like Eclipse does on Ctrl+Shift+T, or JBuilder 2006 on Ctrl+Minus)
2. Find symbol(field, method) like Eclipse's quick outline (Ctrl+O)

These features speed up the development with JCreator

#2 ham90mack

ham90mack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 05:16 PM

JCreator Pro lets you find the declaration of a method or variable by right clicking its name and chosing the option to do so.  It can do the same thing with finding the source code of a given class.  LE does not have these features.  But one feature that they both share is if you put your cursor on the name of a class and click the JDK Help button (or Help>JDK Help), it will take you to the documentation for that class if it exists.

What is the class dialog?  If it is one of the things I said above, I didn't know that it was called that too.
ham90mack
http://ham90mack.googlepages.com
Resistance may be futile,
But capacitance has potential.
BLAH!

#3 Draco

Draco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 819 posts
  • Interests:Java duh...

Posted 29 January 2008 - 08:47 AM

QUOTE(ham90mack @ Jan 28 2008, 05:16 PM) View Post
What is the class dialog?  If it is one of the things I said above, I didn't know that it was called that too.

Open class dialog is another way of saying:

Step 1) Go to the package tree
Step 2) search for the .java file you want to open
Step 3) and double click to open it.

I know that in IDEA if you press CTRL + N a small dialog opens that allows you to search for a class (or any file type, *.html, *.java, etc.) within your project just by typing in the name, or abbreviation (AL might give you ActionListener as an example).

I think both of these are a big boost for other IDEs
-----------------------------------
Sun Certified Java Programmer
-----------------------------------
Java 1.5 API <---Check the specs
Google is your friend

#4 xinox

xinox

Administrator

• Admin
  • 525 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 02:54 PM

The pro edition has a feature to Find a class. See the screen shot below. We shall take the open class dialog in consideration for the next release.

Xinox Software

#5 ham90mack

ham90mack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 12:40 AM

Ah, that's a feature I haven't seen before...  I will add it to the many tabs I have open at the bottom of my screen...  So there's the finding a symbol answer.  If you have JC Pro, you can make that window visible by going to View>Other Windows>Symbol Find

Implementing an open class dialog probably shouldn't be hard since the dialog to chose a class for the project to run by default uses something similar to that already.  I look forward to seeing it.
ham90mack
http://ham90mack.googlepages.com
Resistance may be futile,
But capacitance has potential.
BLAH!