What's The Hardest Program You've Ever Done?

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#1 Abyzmic

Abyzmic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 04:27 PM

Just curious to see what people have done out there in conerns to difficult projects.  For one of my computer science classes the professor made us write an assembler and emulator using JAVA with a subset of opcodes.  That was one difficult project!

JCreator definitly helped make that project 100x easier.

#2 MajinZ

MajinZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 04:30 PM

I think the hardest thing for me is the project I'm currently working on... It's a chatbox, which I love to make... The idea is to use only custom components, which have to work under Java 1.1... In some cases, it's pretty difficult :-)

Also the Server will be pretty difficult to make: It has to 200% perfect :-)

#3 CheezItMan

CheezItMan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 06:30 PM

QUOTE(MajinZ @ Mar 16 2005, 10:30 AM)
I think the hardest thing for me is the project I'm currently working on... It's a chatbox, which I love to make... The idea is to use only custom components, which have to work under Java 1.1... In some cases, it's pretty difficult :-)

Also the Server will be pretty difficult to make: It has to 200% perfect :-)

View Post

A distributed fileserver.  I didn't sleep for weeks.

#4 Abyzmic

Abyzmic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 06:41 PM

QUOTE(CheezItMan @ Mar 16 2005, 01:30 PM)
A distributed fileserver.  I didn't sleep for weeks.

View Post

I'm doing something like that now for work but in C#... it is keeping me extremely busy.

#5 E-E-R

E-E-R

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts
  • Interests:Programming, Gaming, DC

Posted 16 March 2005 - 09:42 PM

A webserver (which totally lacks support for any standard at all) that serves HTML pages .
My first experience with socket programming :)
"Many are persistently in pursuit of the way they have chosen; few in pursuit of the goal"

#6 MajinZ

MajinZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 09:46 PM

QUOTE(E-E-R @ Mar 16 2005, 09:42 PM)
A webserver (which totally lacks support for any standard at all) that serves HTML pages .
My first experience with socket programming :)

View Post

Im planning on making my own webserver... Is it difficult? And what resources did you use (API, examples etc...)? :-)

#7 E-E-R

E-E-R

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 10:01 PM

QUOTE(MajinZ @ Mar 16 2005, 10:46 PM)
Im planning on making my own webserver... Is it difficult? And what resources did you use (API, examples etc...)? :-)

View Post

It is not very hard, well.. if you prepare it well enough that is ;)
I created my webserver from reverse engineering the input i got from apache in putty, which is not a good/easy way to create your own server.

I used the following imports:
import java.net.*;
import java.io.*;

.net (of course) for the Sockets, you will definately need this one.. hint: ServerSocket
.io for reading the files that are being requested by the client

I could send you the source code for review if you like (pm me an adress or something and I'll mail it to you asap)
"Many are persistently in pursuit of the way they have chosen; few in pursuit of the goal"

#8 MajinZ

MajinZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 10:06 PM

Off course it was pretty obvious that I would have to use a ServerSocket, and some I/O-streams... That shouldn't be a problem...

Mmm... I can't send you a PM :-O Stupid forum :-P Anyhow, my e-mail address is on my profile :-)

Just to make it a little easier: hans_roeder@hotmail.com

I'm really curious about the code right now :-)

#9 E-E-R

E-E-R

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 10:15 PM

QUOTE(MajinZ @ Mar 16 2005, 11:06 PM)
Off course it was pretty obvious that I would have to use a ServerSocket, and some I/O-streams... That shouldn't be a problem...

Mmm... I can't send you a PM :-O Stupid forum :-P Anyhow, my e-mail address is on my profile :-)

Just to make it a little easier: hans_roeder@hotmail.com

I'm really curious about the code right now :-)

View Post

Sent :)

the code is butt-ugly at some parts, but it works as intended.
It's just that the intention was to serve a page and *not* crash the server doing it, keep that in mind while you are reading the code ;)

#10 MajinZ

MajinZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 10:25 PM

Great :-D

The code looks fine, so I think I won't have any problems reading and understanding it...

Thank you very much :-)

#11 E-E-R

E-E-R

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 10:34 PM

You're welcome, if something isn't clear you can always email me (dutch or english or german doesn't matter, french is acceptable, no other languages :P) and I will try to explain it in more detail (since I did not comment anything that shouldn't be really that hard).

#12 MajinZ

MajinZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 10:42 PM

QUOTE(E-E-R @ Mar 16 2005, 10:34 PM)
dutch or english or german doesn't matter, french is acceptable, no other languages :P

Hehehe, I think that's pretty funny :-P

Dutch would be best, since we're both uh... Dutch :-P I don't speak german (though I am half german :-$)... And french... Blegh, hate it :-P

I don't think I'll be asking you questions, but thanks anyway :-)

To bad you write the code in a syntax I don't really like... Now I first have to adjust everything :-P But I'll survive it I guess :-)

Thanks again, really appreciate it :-D

#13 bradleysmith

bradleysmith

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 12:46 PM

Probably a sheet metal auto-unfolder.
Or a CNC plasma programmer.

Both seemed pretty tricky at the time.

#14 Abyzmic

Abyzmic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 03:09 PM

Think you could send that web server to me as well?  wayneclarke "at" comcast "dot" net

Now everyone knows my true name O_o

#15 MajinZ

MajinZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 03:15 PM

There's nothing wrong with your name :-)

#16 E-E-R

E-E-R

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 04:58 PM

QUOTE(Abyzmic @ Mar 17 2005, 04:09 PM)
Think you could send that web server to me as well?  wayneclarke "at" comcast "dot" net

Now everyone knows my true name O_o

View Post

I'll send that later tonight...

edit: Sent

#17 nobody

nobody

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 09:59 PM

(not my hardest project, just a response):
I wrote a simple webserver that essentially makes a specific folder available over HTTP. It was most just to practice my Java and networking stuff, but it works. It doesn't support all of the HTTP headers though... I don't think it supports enough to comply to the HTTP standards. It works fine for me though.

#18 jayjoh

jayjoh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 10:34 PM

Personally I routinely find that what makes a project hard is not the "big requirements" but the "little requirements". One of my very first Java apps was a web site link-checker, something that ran all over a web site checking for broken links. While I'm sure my code sucked because I was new to Java, I was amazed at how easy it was. I thought it was going to be tough to figure out how to connect to a web site, download a page, extract links from it, etc. But then another early Java app I had to redefine the behavior of the Page-Up/Page-Down on a JTable. Sounded simple enough. It took me forever to figure out how to do that in Java 1.2, and then when Java 1.4 came along it broke my solution and I had to do it all over again. (At least the Java 1.4 way was fairly clean. Which reminds me: I still don't understand why an InputMap and an ActionMap are two separate things. Why not just have one entity that directly maps key strokes to actions? Why do I need the middle step? )

#19 Sahisoft

Sahisoft

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Interests:Computer science. What else? :-)

Posted 19 March 2005 - 02:29 AM

The hardest program I've done (and actually I'm still working on it) is a thorough and sophisticated scheduler/datebook/organizer program that is specially focused on user-friendliness and aesthetic interface design... I'm doing this without using a GUI builder or any other code generation tools. I started it last October, and just do it in my free time... I might have it ready this summer or fall if I'm lucky... :-)

#20 ben-0

ben-0

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 12:15 PM

i'm a beginner, and the hardest program i ever made is for my BTS (french diploma), it consists to interact and drive a 2-axis hardware, via internet or ip, and take informations by the camera (this system is called "heliostat", for the DGA, this is a specific energy source, "four solaire"). I had difficulties for programming I/O card.
I make another program, which lists movies and games, in a list, ... it's more graphical and it contains more functions. (i included server/client, for network support)

CheezItMan and Sahisoft, i 'm interested by your fileserver and notebook/organizer, if you would give it to me, I really thank you.