What's The Hardest Program You've Ever Done?

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#21 Nano

Nano

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 04:43 PM

my hardest program ever done is to search words in a file and count them. Then find the most frequent words, and I still not finished...

#22 Sahisoft

Sahisoft

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Interests:Computer science. What else? :-)

Posted 19 March 2005 - 09:54 PM

CheezItMan and Sahisoft, i 'm interested by your fileserver and notebook/organizer, if you would give it to me, I really thank you.

View Post

Sure, I'd be glad to, as soon as I'm finished. :-)

#23 MajinZ

MajinZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 06:30 PM

QUOTE(Sahisoft @ Mar 19 2005, 09:54 PM)
Sure, I'd be glad to, as soon as I'm finished. :-)

Could you send it to me aswell? I'm quite curious :-)

#24 loconero

loconero

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 09:17 PM

The stuff i did varied quite a bit... in J2ME i wrote an embedded chatserver which users could logon too using telnet. For my graduation i wrote a program which used the COM port to direct 3 stepmotors, too which a hydrophone was attached (for measuring sound under water)... it had to make a graphical form of ultrasound bundle for physilogical hardware.

#25 jeef

jeef

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 12:35 PM

probably my current project, which has involved writing a socket app that is compliant with the EtherNet/IP (IndustrialProtocol) and will soon also be complaint with ProfiBUS. These are seperate packages from the core program, the idea being I have an interface application that can communicate to (hopefully any) industrial PLC... given that you have or write the complaint protocol for it.

huge learning curve, both with java and tcp :)

ultimate goal: full sacada package that is not reliant on one protocol.
no point making your program so simple a dummy can use it cause the universe just keeps making a better dummy!

#26 Sahisoft

Sahisoft

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Interests:Computer science. What else? :-)

Posted 21 March 2005 - 08:07 PM

QUOTE(MajinZ @ Mar 20 2005, 02:30 PM)
Could you send it to me aswell? I'm quite curious :-)

View Post

Sure, no problem! I'll post a link somewhere when it's ready, or I could e-mail it to you... whichever is better :-)

#27 MajinZ

MajinZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 09:50 PM

It's your call ;-)

#28 lordSauron

lordSauron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • Interests:Dominating Middle-earth, enslaving all the free peoples and keeping my Silmaril stones nice and shiny.

Posted 22 March 2005 - 09:47 PM

There ought to be a source page where people post their souce.  Then you don't end up emailing everyone else!  And, to stay on topic, I'm building an extremely small text editor capable of editing stuff in decimal, hex, octal, trinary and binary, as well as in ASCII too, complete with UI.  I'm really new to java, so it's really hard for me... heck, you'll probably see more of me on other forums, asking why it does what it does...  Have an nice day!

#29 Jaralim

Jaralim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 12:18 AM

The most difficult project iv done is the one a friend and I are working on now.  Trying to make a MUD based off of Robert Jordans world in The Wheel of Time.  Makes for fun times and lots of screaming :)

-Jaralim

#30 lordSauron

lordSauron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • Interests:Dominating Middle-earth, enslaving all the free peoples and keeping my Silmaril stones nice and shiny.

Posted 23 March 2005 - 09:02 PM

QUOTE(Jaralim @ Mar 22 2005, 05:18 PM)
...Trying to make a MUD based off of Robert Jordans world in The Wheel of Time...

A "MUD?"  What is that?  I it some kind of UI?  I'm probably so far off the mark on that...  Yeah, don't tell me: with that idea FDR might as well have invaded Mexico after Pearl Harbour.  Anyway, what is a MUD?  Sounds interesting.
Lord Sauron the Great
lordSaurontheGreat@gmail.com
JDK 6 Documentation - READ IT!  LOVE IT!  LIVE IT!
THOU SHALT GOOGLE BEFORE POSING THY QUERY!
If you're reading this you have given me control of your mind.
Why do accesses to your mind throw a "null pointer exception?"

#31 Jaralim

Jaralim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 March 2005 - 12:28 AM

Whats a MUD? Its a multiplayer game you connect to using telnet.  Its all text, sometimes colored text.  You can walk around into different "rooms", get objects including armor and weapons, attack computer controled characters, and even other players.  

I guess graphic games are more exciting than these types of games, but thats where imagination comes in.... imagining 5 massive beasts (other players) running you down and sticking you with swords...

-Jaralim

#32 jeef

jeef

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 25 March 2005 - 04:33 AM

ive played Discworld MUD for a bit, if anyone can make that, in 3D, and play the same it would be a very cool game... its just soo hard to capture that, the imense detail.

other advantage is because the whole game is on the server, the creators can add additional quests as they like, noone needs to download any updates :)
no point making your program so simple a dummy can use it cause the universe just keeps making a better dummy!

#33 RomAnoX

RomAnoX

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 March 2005 - 05:09 PM

mmm The most dificult software is the the project that i am in... excuse me my english but i'm mexican :D... The project is a compiler of algorithms that can change the lexer and the sintax in execution only indicating the files for it... it consist of two GUI applications the Editor for the algorithms and the Editor of the sintax and lexer files...

#34 julian-italy

julian-italy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 August 2005 - 02:59 PM

Hi!
I think the difficulty isn't in writing the program but handling the whole delepment process: analysis, design, coding, testing, writing manuals; and at the begin of all this intervieving the people to see their exact needs. An operator and a manager will give you two different views of the same problem.

Ehm, yes, the most difficul program...
I wrote 20.000 lines in ansi C which was, as a matter of fact, an operating system with limited grafical capabilities. It had a programming language for data management anda low level layer for interfacing with the hardware... ahh... good old days...!  smile.gif

bye,
Julian
http://www.accademia3.it

#35 JavaJesus

JavaJesus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Interests:Writing programs that have no real use, but are fun to make (a self-solving rubix cube, for example)

Posted 06 August 2005 - 12:59 AM

Wow...after looking at all of the posts, I'm almost embarrassed to say that my hardest program doesn't involve the internet... (>.<)

No, my hardest (and current) project is a program that randomly scrambles and then solves a rubix cube. The great thing is, I've got it set up to read/write the color values to a file, so that every time the program starts, the cube is in the same position it was when you quit. The only main problem right now is the fact that it's not actually 3D....I'm manipulating java.awt to make it look 3D, but you can't actually see the cube turn...all you see is the colors switching. But that's the target of the next major upgrade I'm gonna make (right now I'm working on changing the time delay from loops to Timers)

#36 Draco

Draco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 819 posts
  • Interests:Java duh...

Posted 07 August 2005 - 05:09 PM

the hardest one i did was a Instant Messenger, got it to send text n stuff, just never got around to fixing a few bugs, lol even made it look like a SYN flood attack to IDS systems, my college was pissed lmfao!

-----------------------------------
Sun Certified Java Programmer
-----------------------------------
Java 1.5 API <---Check the specs
Google is your friend

#37 Lee

Lee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 08:47 AM

the hardest program i've written was my last.  its a distributed computing application that calculates pi and phi to very high accuracies.  around 52 million digits or so.

#38 CharlyBrown

CharlyBrown

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 October 2005 - 01:18 PM

QUOTE(Abyzmic @ Mar 16 2005, 04:27 PM)
Just curious to see what people have done out there in conerns to difficult projects.  For one of my computer science classes the professor made us write an assembler and emulator using JAVA with a subset of opcodes.  That was one difficult project!

JCreator definitly helped make that project 100x easier.

View Post

#39 Maybeme

Maybeme

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 06:27 PM

The hardest program I've done:

Well, I'm new to Java and programming (I'm 16), and I started to do some tests. My first program was higher/lower: The PC took a random number and you have to guess what's the number. Then the PC tells you wether the number is higher or lower. It was with variable pictures and such. *Proud*

My second (and last for now) was Hangman. It also was with pictures which changes during the game (when you guess wrong). The hardest part was to make the code to let him read an external file to read words. So I could add words without changing the code *Proud again*

It may sound stupid, but everybody has to start somewhere =P

#40 buddybob

buddybob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • Interests:Java, Airplanes, Trance Music, Movies...blah blah

Posted 08 May 2006 - 07:06 PM

QUOTE(Maybeme @ May 8 2006, 11:57 PM) View Post

The hardest program I've done:

Well, I'm new to Java and programming (I'm 16), and I started to do some tests. My first program was higher/lower: The PC took a random number and you have to guess what's the number. Then the PC tells you wether the number is higher or lower. It was with variable pictures and such. *Proud*

My second (and last for now) was Hangman. It also was with pictures which changes during the game (when you guess wrong). The hardest part was to make the code to let him read an external file to read words. So I could add words without changing the code *Proud again*

It may sound stupid, but everybody has to start somewhere =P

16!!?? Cool dude! Very honored to see a young mind on this forum!  cool.gif

We've all climbed similar ladders in our programming career and we to were *Proud* of our creations!!!

All the best to ur programming career and looking forward to see ur participation on the forums!  smile.gif
Best Regards,
Ranganath Kini
Sun Certified Java Programmer