What's The Hardest Program You've Ever Done?

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#41 Draco

Draco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 819 posts
  • Interests:Java duh...

Posted 08 May 2006 - 10:36 PM

YES! I second what BuddyBob said!

I started Java when I was 16 as well (I'm 18 now, turning 19 in June) and I'm very glad to see another young blood on these forums.  You will find nothing but exceptional help on these forums, do not worry about how big or little the problem is, you will always find help here.

Peace,
Draco
-----------------------------------
Sun Certified Java Programmer
-----------------------------------
Java 1.5 API <---Check the specs
Google is your friend

#42 Maybeme

Maybeme

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 03:16 PM

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I'm very curious how the new version of JCreator will work...
There isn't much info about it. Anyone has more info about it?

Just a little question: Is Xinox one person? If so, are there other people helping to develop JCreator who're also active on these forums?

Thanks again. Now I know a forum for where to ask those Java n00b questions :p

#43 E-E-R

E-E-R

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts
  • Interests:Programming, Gaming, DC

Posted 09 May 2006 - 04:15 PM

xinox is the only active forum user that actually works for xinox, AFAIK. However, Xinox Software is not a one man company, as can be seen on the contact page (http://www.jcreator.com/xinox.htm) there are at least two people working there.

I would estimate there may be around 5 to 10 people working for Xinox (However, it's just a guess).
"Many are persistently in pursuit of the way they have chosen; few in pursuit of the goal"

#44 SilverFox

SilverFox

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 05:19 PM

Several years ago I wrote a GUI that allowed the user to input (textually or graphically) geographic coordinates and then display those coordinates on a flat representation of the earth.  The reason this was so hard is that I had to research earth curvature (ellipses, etc) and take that into account when plotting the points.  The math for that was absolutely insane, and when I go back to look at it now, I have no clue how I figured it out.

In all, though, the hardest coding job is other people's code.  Nothing is worse than maintaining really bad code that you have no power to replace.

#45 buddybob

buddybob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • Interests:Java, Airplanes, Trance Music, Movies...blah blah

Posted 18 May 2006 - 06:02 PM

QUOTE(SilverFox @ May 18 2006, 10:49 PM) View Post

Several years ago I wrote a GUI that allowed the user to input (textually or graphically) geographic coordinates and then display those coordinates on a flat representation of the earth.  The reason this was so hard is that I had to research earth curvature (ellipses, etc) and take that into account when plotting the points.  The math for that was absolutely insane, and when I go back to look at it now, I have no clue how I figured it out.

In all, though, the hardest coding job is other people's code.  Nothing is worse than maintaining really bad code that you have no power to replace.

Sounds like some pretty intense math eh? Was it something to do with Mercator projections?

Yup, ure right! The hardest job is to figure out other's code and debug it. Once you are assigned to debug others' code, it is then that you know the value of coding conventions and proper documentation.
Best Regards,
Ranganath Kini
Sun Certified Java Programmer

#46 Dano

Dano

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 01:48 AM

Making two JTree's in one pane with:
* copy/move and synchronize from one root to another
* locate objects on JTree
* select/deselect
* manage user Object Pointers
* maintain sort order during copy/move operations
* allow renaming of the roots (folder containers) disallow editing of child items
* making the tree objects universal - to handle/manage ANY user object I throw at it.

I still can't get:
* Drag and drop across trees
* DND within a single tree

the trouble with tribbles - or JTree's as it were....  Anyone got any good JTree DND code to share?

Cheers,
Dano

#47 Captain Pierce

Captain Pierce

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 10:06 PM

The hardest program I've ever done was a project for my intro to java class. We were assigned to write a simple GUI application that displays a graph of the sine curve which could be manipulated with sliders. Now that sounds easy, and it was. I knew it was coming and had all the requirments met (I spent part of a Saturday doing that) before it was even officially assigned. The real difficulty came when I decided to go beyond the project and add more features to it.

I started off by having it graph all six trig functions. I then added features similar to that of a TI graphing calculator (really all but TI's are what my school uses) such as window ranges, tracing of the function, verticle and horizontal axes, lines marking off the period of the function, and a zoom box. I set up the tracing and zoom box with a nice mouse only interface. Just click and drag the left mouse button to zoom in, and right click to zoom back out. Yeah it stacked the zooms. Tracing occured when the mouse was in the JPanel responsible for drawing everything. The hard parts to doing all this were:

a) How to scale the function itself to draw correctly.
b) How to best implement window ranging and implement the axes and period marks correctly.
c) Fixing rendering glitches.

I got it all working alright. Then over summer I went back to the trig project and realized how bad all the code was. There really wasn't much of an object oriented design, which I fixed and the math involved with variable window ranges was embarassing. Fortunately the only other person besides me to have ever seen it was my teacher  wink.gif  But I had a lot of fun fixing all that stuff. Then this past February I started adding support for drawing custom equations, I got as far as a simple parabolic equation parser when an annual competition came up much earlier than expected and I haven't been back to fully implement the feature.

#48 Captain Pierce

Captain Pierce

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 06:26 PM

Time for hardest thing #2: Getting the 360 controller to work in Java.

Not that the process is at all difficult, but I have absolutely no c++ experience, which is what made it difficult. So I was fighting with Dev-cpp, it gave me some crap makefile bs so I switched to Visual Studio 2005. Once I figured out I needed a platform SDK and got some include files in the right spot all I had left to do was fix some minor syntax errors. Now, thanks to the JNI, I have the ability to control my apps with a 360 controller  cool.gif

It's not really all that complicated, either. Which is good. Now that I have some experience, improving my code that handles the input should be a breeze.

#49 Jason Sperske

Jason Sperske

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 03:11 AM

Currently working on it.  I call it Degree Designer.  It's a complete web based Ed Plan collaboration suite for colleges.  It has to integrate with multiple legacy systems, have a dynamic work flow(because not every college approves Ed Plans the same way) and work fast.  I have been working on it for over 2 years now, and have even built a company around it.  It looks like we might have our 1.0 release by October of this year.  We are even getting colleges excited about the release and have some beta clients lined up.  I just released a spin off of the Degree Designer called FastSchedule.net, which takes our schedule optimization functions and lets colleges sign up and provide our search engine for their catalogs for free.
The entire way I have been using JCreator (since 2.5).  I wold guess at this point there over 90,000 lines of code in 6 languages (Java, JSP, Javascript, XML, CSS, HTML).  I look forward to many more years of using JCreator.  I have tried Eclipse, NetBeans, IDEA and StudioCreator, anything matches the clean, rapid, efficient environment of JCreator.  I just wish they would support 2 monitors better :P
-Jason
Blue Jay Creative Solutions
(http://blog.bluejaycs.com/)

#50 agidden

agidden

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 03:59 PM

QUOTE(Abyzmic @ Mar 16 2005, 11:27 AM) View Post

Just curious to see what people have done out there in conerns to difficult projects.  

Just finished a parser and toolkit for XML Schema Definition (XSD) and DTD files.
Had to be able to reverse-engineer an XML document (with proper types and valid default values) from any schema root as well as be able to put the entire schema into a code model that humans can actually understand. (if you have seen any api's for XML schemas you know that they are difficult for advanced programmers)
Also had to be able to validate XML documents, provide REAL error messages, and validate the schema files themselves.

Hardest thing I have done in 25 years of programming. It was done in Java with jCreator.

#51 carv3r

carv3r

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 03:34 AM

I'm newer to programming so i would say an astriods mock.

Here's a pic:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/cca...eScreenShot.jpg

#52 ham90mack

ham90mack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 09:53 PM

I haven't run into any very hard programs, but I will in a year or two when I try and make a Blokus applet with a lot of features.
ham90mack
http://ham90mack.googlepages.com
Resistance may be futile,
But capacitance has potential.
BLAH!

#53 marre

marre

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 01:06 PM

QUOTE(E-E-R @ May 9 2006, 05:15 PM) View Post
xinox is the only active forum user that actually works for xinox, AFAIK. However, Xinox Software is not a one man company, as can be seen on the contact page (http://www.jcreator.com/xinox.htm) there are at least two people working there.

I would estimate there may be around 5 to 10 people working for Xinox (However, it's just a guess).

just a question,  can i pm u in dutch coz i got a problem with a practicum in java, (and i wont translate the whole thing to english)

#54 E-E-R

E-E-R

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts
  • Interests:Programming, Gaming, DC

Posted 14 December 2006 - 04:20 PM

Sorry, but no. I never answer questions via PM, if you have trouble translating, use Babelfish. (http://babelfish.altavista.com).
"Many are persistently in pursuit of the way they have chosen; few in pursuit of the goal"

#55 javaboy0606

javaboy0606

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 06:17 PM

I haven't done much in java and don't really have a hardest program I've ever written, but I am 15 and trying hard.

--javaboy0606

--javaboy0606

#56 Comady-cool

Comady-cool

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 07:28 PM

QUOTE(buddybob @ May 8 2006, 07:06 PM) View Post
16!!?? Cool dude! Very honored to see a young mind on this forum! cool.gif

We've all climbed similar ladders in our programming career and we to were *Proud* of our creations!!!

All the best to ur programming career and looking forward to see ur participation on the forums! smile.gif

Good thing he's not as young as me see(Why cant I put...........).

Java is very complicated to me.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------if it looks right, sounds right and works right, then it's probably just a fluke.

#57 Comady-cool

Comady-cool

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 07:44 PM

QUOTE(Draco @ May 8 2006, 10:36 PM) View Post
YES! I second what BuddyBob said!

I started Java when I was 16 as well (I'm 18 now, turning 19 in June) and I'm very glad to see another young blood on these forums. You will find nothing but exceptional help on these forums, do not worry about how big or little the problem is, you will always find help here.

Peace,
Draco

I agree to
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------if it looks right, sounds right and works right, then it's probably just a fluke.

#58 Kraicheck

Kraicheck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 09:24 PM

Stop doing that!

Resurrecting a thread with "I agree" is just asking to be banned.
If this board wasn't so lightly moderated (no offense to Xinox  wink.gif ) you and several others would have been warned and probably banned already.

And if you respond to this with something along the lines of  "sorry but I'm young and ignorant" I'm going to hunt you down  wink.gif .

#59 sameer

sameer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 04:45 PM

QUOTE(E-E-R @ Mar 16 2005, 10:15 PM) View Post
Sent :)

the code is butt-ugly at some parts, but it works as intended.
It's just that the intention was to serve a page and *not* crash the server doing it, keep that in mind while you are reading the code ;)

pls send it to me as well
at manishmodi524@gmail.com

#60 Gehn

Gehn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Interests:Stuff

Posted 19 October 2007 - 04:58 AM

A current project I am doing for my Web-Based Java class. We are making Battleship. First version was console, second is graphical, and who knows from there. I would say the hardest part of it has been the AI of it. Especially when you get to multiple ships next to each other. It needs to be simple but smart at the same time and I'm no AI programmer. :D
"I didn't do it."

Student at Kutztown University