• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Cerium

Cerium

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 12:59 AM

Fairly self explanitory.  Im usually good about saving, but theres always the unexpected.

I just lost a good 15-20 minutes of work no thanks to a problem in VMWare which brought my computer to a halt.

-----

If it already exists and Im blind, can someone point it out to me?

#2 Sahisoft

Sahisoft

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Interests:Computer science. What else? :-)

Posted 20 June 2005 - 07:20 PM

Actually, there is already sort of an auto-save feature present in JCreator. If JCreator crashes, it saves all your project directory's files with a .BAK extension. You can then merge the contents of these files back with the original source files, but this is tedious.

I definitely second this idea -- there should be an auto-save feature that saves at regular intervals just like Microsoft Office programs! But until then, you can use the .BAK files that occur if JCreator crashes (not sure about VMWare, however)...

#3 E-E-R

E-E-R

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts
  • Interests:Programming, Gaming, DC

Posted 20 June 2005 - 09:59 PM

well I guess it would be easy to have an autosave functionality, but I think it is your own responsibility to save regularly (unless you're playing a game that has no quicksave option of course ;) )

I have the habit of pressing ctrl+S after each enter (I've got some pretty bad experiences with Word, the entire Borland suite, and some other programs).
"Many are persistently in pursuit of the way they have chosen; few in pursuit of the goal"

#4 Sahisoft

Sahisoft

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Interests:Computer science. What else? :-)

Posted 21 June 2005 - 01:48 AM

Well, also, every time you compile the project, it saves all the files in the directory again. I compile often (thus my files get saved a lot and I don't lose much if JC crashes), so AutoSave isn't that big of an issue, but I guess it would still be nice. :-)

#5 xinox

xinox

Administrator

• Admin
  • 525 posts

Posted 26 June 2005 - 03:15 PM

QUOTE(Sahisoft @ Jun 21 2005, 01:48 AM)
Well, also, every time you compile the project, it saves all the files in the directory again. I compile often (thus my files get saved a lot and I don't lose much if JC crashes), so AutoSave isn't that big of an issue, but I guess it would still be nice. :-)

View Post

The feature is on our todo list.

#6 Cerium

Cerium

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 04:16 PM

So, 5 years later and this is still a lacking feature and something seriously needed. Just lost another hour of work due to jcreator locking up when I hit ctrl+space to bring up the method/property list while it was already doing so.

Moreover, I can't find any hint of a .bak file (nor any mention of them in the options) to recover my losses. I wonder if this is a feature that was removed and, if so, why?

Here's to hoping that auto-save wasn't left off the new beta that's being released with Duke Nukem Forever.

#7 xinox

xinox

Administrator

• Admin
  • 525 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 10:23 PM

Of course not, the feature has been added.  happy.gif