24 replies to this topic

#1 amirdhagopal

amirdhagopal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 01:21 PM

Dear friend,
           The power of Java is platform independent. Java can run equally well in all platforms. So, it is quite natural that the users of Java also expect their favorite editors to be all the platform in which they are working.
          I am using JCreator for a long time in Windows Environment and I am much impressed by its features and functionalities. But, whenever I have to work in Linux, I feel that I am missing JCreator very much. I am using NetBeans, XEmacs etc. But, even then I feel that I am missing JCreator very much.
         I would like to request u that it would be helpful for all users of JCreator as well as Java, if JCreator is extended to Linux also.

Cheers,
R.Amirdha Gopal.

#2 Phil^

Phil^

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 01:33 PM

Might be tricky to do. Even though c++ , the language JCreator is coded in isnt restricted to one platform only through the various compilers that are about for it - the windows APIs it calls are. Im not sure if these could be re-done that well for linux.
Might try running JCreator under WINE later on to see if that works. Not sure if it will though.

#3 Phil^

Phil^

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 01:53 PM

Doesnt seem to run in wine 2005.02.11 ( still waiting for it to appear, the wine preloader process is running but jcreator doesnt appear. It installs under it though.
Downloading latest wine ( 2005.4.19 ) to see if that makes a difference.
Nope - doesnt appear to.

#4 Phil^

Phil^

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 03:45 PM

JCreator 2.5 loads, but its not exactly useable under wine im afraid :(

#5 sombriks

sombriks

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 July 2005 - 06:16 AM

guy, i'm also looking for something like the JCreator for linux, but until now nothing...
Hey Xinox people, why you guys don't lose a evening Sunday for put int under Linux, uhn? I'm waiting, ok?

#6 timoioi

timoioi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 October 2005 - 05:32 PM

QUOTE(sombriks @ Jul 4 2005, 12:16 AM)
guy, i'm also looking for something like the JCreator for linux, but until now nothing...
Hey Xinox people, why you guys don't lose a evening Sunday for put int under Linux, uhn? I'm waiting, ok?

View Post

I hope they get a linux version of JCreator soon.  However it's not as easy as "loosing an evening Sunday" to do it.  Someone above mentions it's written in c++, thats going to take some time in porting.  Not like you can just drop it into gcc and let it compile away.

#7 lmik

lmik

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 October 2005 - 12:13 PM

the closest IDE to JCreator LE i have found for linux is "Anjuta".   the one thing i like about jcreator is the one-click compile or execute the code.  Anjuta has the same feature.  if you write java apps, you might need to set the execute command yourself ie. 'Settings' -> "Commands" -> Language  Java -> Execute.  now modify the part in quotes. it should read "$(current.file.name)". now as soon as you click Execute a terminal window pops up and the code is executed, just as jcreator.  

#8 xinox

xinox

Administrator

• Admin
  • 525 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 05:01 PM

Linux.., we never heard of it??   cool.gif

New major components are designed with in mind that they may end someday running on a different platform. For now we keep our focus on the Windows platform.

-Xinox Software

#9 willc0de4food

willc0de4food

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:computers, extreme sports, girls, food (not in that order)

Posted 20 April 2006 - 03:29 AM

which is exactly the mindset that will help keep Windows as the most used desktop OS.

honestly, if you just released the source to someone wanting to start an open source project, you wouldn't have to do anything. the open source team would do it.

#10 buddybob

buddybob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • Interests:Java, Airplanes, Trance Music, Movies...blah blah

Posted 20 April 2006 - 07:06 AM

**** Post withdrawn by buddybob ****

See: http://www.jcreator.com/forums/index.php?s...=0&gopid=4455&#

Edited by buddybob, 25 April 2006 - 02:33 AM.

Best Regards,
Ranganath Kini
Sun Certified Java Programmer

#11 E-E-R

E-E-R

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts
  • Interests:Programming, Gaming, DC

Posted 20 April 2006 - 01:36 PM

If linux would be seriously considered as a JCreator platform, I think working together with a major player such as Codeweavers ( http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/certify/ ) would be a smart move.

They have taken Wine and made it user friendly (well, more windows-like at least). Also they have contributed to the wine project so they could make the necessary changes to the wine source tree themselves.

I have run linux myself for some time, back then I used codeweavers "crossover office" to run the MS office suite on linux (which ran brilliantly). Unfortunately, JC didn't ;)

To conclude this post, building JC from the ground for linux is 'not smart' in the very least. A cooperation with a company as codeweavers would be a smart move I think. However I don't know how large Xinox Software is as a company, so I can understand if they want to focus on creating a better Windows IDE than to 'go crossplatform' so to speak.
"Many are persistently in pursuit of the way they have chosen; few in pursuit of the goal"

#12 buddybob

buddybob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 452 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 07:25 AM

Edited by buddybob, 25 April 2006 - 02:33 AM.

Best Regards,
Ranganath Kini

#13 willc0de4food

willc0de4food

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:computers, extreme sports, girls, food (not in that order)

Posted 22 April 2006 - 04:04 PM

If and when Xinox decides to port JCreator to Linux, I'd rather prefer to use JCreator as a first class application built (or better say rebuilt) for Linux instead of running within an emulator like WINE. The reasons are:
do you even know what WINE stands for? because usually words that are NOT acronyms, aren't capitalized. but it stands for Wine Is Not an Emulator. if you'd like to know what WINE actually is, go to www.winehq.com , they have an about blurb on the main page :]

I think Xinox is wise by not (YET) developing for Linux. My guess as the reason for this is that of support. There are several disparities between different distributions of Linux. The aspects may be quite deep as libraries, installation, configuration (oh hell!!!), desktop environments, etc.
if the problems users are having are distro specific, the user wouldn't need to come to xinox for help. they'd simply go to the forum that is specific to their distro such as www.fedoraforum.org , www.suseforums.net , http://forums.gentoo.org , etc. so thats kind of a bs response :]

Xinox has doing a great job on JCreator and am very confident that it has plenty of good features planned to be added to the IDE in the future. If you have a suggestion for a feature, u are free to post it on the forums.

Open-sourcing is not an answer to every project. And despite the fact that Linux has gained tremendous amount of loyalty, there are practical usability issues to it.

we do agree on a few things : Xinox has been doing a great job on JCreator.
open sourcing isn't the answer to everything.
but paying $80 to burn a cd to me is just ridiculous :]

Though u might dispute with me on this, Linux can be very intimidating for a beginner and I personally have spoken to several developers who have preferred to get started on Java thru Windows than Linux. Hence Linux, wud be a bad choice to write a beginners' IDE. Windows also provides a rich user-friendly experience which makes it an intuitive choice to develop for.

no, linux is not for everyone. its setup different than windows, and since people have been spoon-fed windows for the past 21 years, thats what they know. when i first installed linux, i was absolutely clueless on how to do pretty much anything besides start up and shut down. lol but i learned. oooh...scary.
have you ever used linux? or ever tried to use linux? or even considered using linux? the "user-friendliness" may not be that of windows, but its gotten a hell of a lot better in the past couple years.

also..if someone has linux installed, they've got java configured, and they can get jcreator installed - i dont see where the focus on development with the "utmost clarity" is lacking?

and yes - there are plenty of other nice IDEs for Linux. my preference lies with Anjuta. this IDE has the capability to code/compile a list of different languages including C/C++, Java, Perl, Python, Pascal, Fortran, ..... and it does its job well. but we linux users like to have choice :] so if jcreator existed for linux, it would simply be another choice for us.

Edited by willc0de4food, 22 April 2006 - 04:11 PM.

#14 Draco

Draco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 819 posts
  • Interests:Java duh...

Posted 22 April 2006 - 06:00 PM

I dont really wanna get into this topic, but theres just one little thing I think I may want to say.

Xinox/JCreator is still a BUSINESS, and we all know that business can only thrive on profit.  So everyone's points are great, but it comes down to the fact of, Will JCreator generate enough profit from offering it to Linux users.

That is business my friends, we all know that.
-----------------------------------
Java 1.5 API <---Check the specs
Google is your friend

#15 buddybob

buddybob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 452 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 06:34 PM

Edited by buddybob, 25 April 2006 - 02:32 AM.

Best Regards,
Ranganath Kini

#16 buddybob

buddybob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 452 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 06:49 PM

Edited by buddybob, 25 April 2006 - 02:32 AM.

Best Regards,
Ranganath Kini

#17 Draco

Draco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 819 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 08:22 PM

@all: I dont believe there is anything wrong with open-source software etc.  I admire those people who put in the effort for no return.  
Having said that, the problem with open-source software, here at Xinox, or anywhere in the world, is that it does NOT bring home the food to the table for these hard working individuals who provide us with such amazing software as JCreator.

We all have our opinions and needs, we just have to find our own ways to meet them.

AMEN!
Google is your friend

#18 buddybob

buddybob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 452 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 02:30 AM

Dear all,

I view of my last couple of posts on this topic, I have realized that my posts have been harsh, unnecessary and offensive. This forum is not a place to start a debate between Windows and Linux but is a place for posting suggestions that can help JCreator become a more robust and feature-rich Java IDE.

Hence I withdraw all my posts in this topic and apologize to all those members, whose views have been offeneded by me. I also apologize for abusing the forums for posting such callous remarks.  I will not pursue this topic any more.

Henceforth, I do hope to contribute this wonderful community positively and constructively.

Thank you very much.
Best Regards,
Ranganath Kini

#19 GeneralCody

GeneralCody

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 07:11 AM

All this talk about OpenSourcing JCreator makes me dizzy, but...
When it comes to profit, it wouldn't be a sacrifice to compile a Linux version, and sell it as a closed binary, as many other commercial products do, would it?

#20 Draco

Draco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 819 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 07:44 AM

QUOTE(GeneralCody @ Apr 13 2007, 08:11 AM) View Post
All this talk about OpenSourcing JCreator makes me dizzy, but...
When it comes to profit, it wouldn't be a sacrifice to compile a Linux version, and sell it as a closed binary, as many other commercial products do, would it?

I don't think I said anything about open sourcing JCreator.

Yes you could make a closed source version for linux distros, but is it commerically feasable to do so?  C++ is not as easy to change some lines of code in order to handle another OS as Java.  So it would take time and money to have a Linux version.  Now the question is would there be a profit (and a good one at that) for all that hard work?  Most likely, no.
Google is your friend