3 replies to this topic

#1 SoiledShip

SoiledShip

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:Computers, cars, loud music, and plenty of fun

Posted 23 May 2009 - 01:41 AM

A friend of mine and myself were coming up with science fair projects to work on over the summer (still in high school) and she proposed something that really sparked my curiosity. She said i should make a program that uses a library/data base to analyze soundwaves to determine who the voice belongs to. Of course this would mean that the voice being analyzed was in the library but i have never worked with sound in java before. I did some research on sound waves and how to compare them and it seems there is a semi simple math formula for finding it out, but i have no clue how i would store and be able to read data off of the sound files. for the formula to work i need to be able to get amplitude & frequency in hertz of course. Anyone got any suggestions or would i be better off in another programming language? i aint actually started the project but i enjoy a good challange so difficulty aint really an issue. any help would be much appreciated happy.gif

#2 Kraicheck

Kraicheck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 09:13 AM

I suggest using Matlab for this.
Java isn't really meant for this kinda data analysis.

#3 SoiledShip

SoiledShip

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:Computers, cars, loud music, and plenty of fun

Posted 23 May 2009 - 06:05 PM

ok thanks ill have to look into that, i didn't figure that i would be able to use java.

#4 Narayan

Narayan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Interests:i like to be a java programmer

Posted 24 May 2009 - 03:43 AM

i think ur program looks a bit Tough in java